Department of Homeland Security(FOIA)

I’ve never liked the name “Department of Homeland Security“. Sounds very menacing to me. One thing the department will do for you though, if you fill out the right pieces of paper, is send you stuff for free on your immigrant ancestors. Here’s what you have to do:

Go to this web site and get the form G-636. It should be at the bottom of the page. Fill out the form to the best of your ability. You do not need it to be notarized. It’s very helpful if you can attached a ‘proof of death’. It’s also very helpful if you have a bit of information on your ancestor like their birthdate or their Alien Registration Number. Put the papers in an envelop. Put a stamp or two on it. Wait. In about 14 days you’ll get a letter back telling you that they have received your request. There will ba a case number on it. You may want to save that. Wait some more. Wait – I dunno – two years. Then, when you least expect it.

Here’s what you can get (.PDF) :

Freedom Of Information Act _ William Wainer