Updated: New way to get old records from the Fed

In a previous post I detailed the way to go about requesting your ancestors records from the Department of Homeland Security. On August 13th, there will be a new and supposedly more streamlined way of accomplishing this. The new Department of Homeland Security Genealogy web site, here, details the new services offered. In brief he’s what you can get:

1) An Index search that will return citations of your ancestors in immigration and naturalization records. This is a $20.00 service.

3) Record copies. This will return you the copies of the records referenced by your index search above. This will be $20.00 to $35.00. The records that you will able to get copies of ( as of this writing) are:

  • Naturalization Certificate Files (C-files) from September 27, 1906 to April 1, 1956
  • Alien Registration Forms from August 1, 1940 to March 31, 1944
  • Visa files from July 1, 1924 to March 31, 1944
  • Registry Files from March 2, 1929 to March 31, 1944
  • Alien Files (A-files) numbered below 8 million (A8000000) and documents therein dated prior to May 1, 1951

You must have the indexes before you request the actual copies. So it looks like what used to be free will cost $40.00 to $55.00.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to Ma.gnoliaAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s